Equinor (formerly Statoil) entered into South Africa in 2015 and today has four exploration licences in the country.
This page is available in English only
In 2015 we acquired a 35 percent interest in the Exploration Right 12/3/154 Tugela South. The remaining interests are held by the operator ExxonMobil (40%) and co-venturer Impact Africa (25%). The licence covers an area of approximately 9,000 square kilometres.
In 2017 Equinor, then Statoil, acquired a 35 percent interest in the Exploration Right Transkei-Algoa. Operator ExxonMobil holds 40 percent and partner Impact Africa 35 percent. The licence covers an area of approximately 45,000 square kilometres.
In 2017 we also acquired a 90 percent interest and operatorship for the Exploration Right East Algoa. The remaining 10 percent is held by partner OK Energy. The licence covers an area of approximately 9,300 square kilometres.
In 2018 Equinor finalized a farm-in for 50% equity share in the Deepwater Durban exploration license. ExxonMobil is the operator and holds the remaining 50% equity share. The licence covers an area of more than 50,000 square kilometres.
All licences are located in deep waters with depths up to 3,000 metres.