Statoil expands its exploration portfolio in Brazil
“The acquisition allows Statoil to expand its position in a prioritised basin for Statoil. The position is in line with Statoil’s exploration strategy of deepening core areas”, says Nick Maden, senior vice president, Exploration International.
Nick Maden, direktør for internasjonal leting i Statoil.
The Indra discovery straddles the border between BM-ES-22A and BM-ES-32, Statoil will now be part of the on-going appraisal well on Indra in BM-ES-22A. There is also one exploration well planned for 2013.
The transaction is subject to approval by Brazilian authorities and other conditions to closing.
The Indra discovery was made in BM-ES-32 where Petrobras is the operator with 60 % interest. Statoil holds the remaining 40 % interest. The exploration well was completed in December 2010 at a water depth of 2,130 metres. The well found 70 meters of light oil in a good quality sandstone reservoir.
Statoil has a diverse exploration portfolio in Brazil and in February 2012, Statoil participated in the high-impact discovery Pão de Açúcar together with operator Repsol Sinopec and partner Petrobras in block BM-C-33, positioning Statoil as an important long-term partner in Brazil's attractive and growing oil and gas industry.
Statoil is the operator of the Peregrino field in Brazil, which came on stream in April 2011 and is currently the largest international operator in the country.