Statoil makes another high-impact natural gas discovery offshore Tanzania
The discovery of an additional 2-3 trillion cubic feet (Tcf)* of natural gas in place in the Mronge-1 well brings the total of in-place volumes up to 17-20 Tcf in Block 2.
Nick Maden, Statoils letedirektør for den vestlige halvkule. (Foto: Ole Jørgen Bratland)
Mronge-1 is drilled by the drillship Discoverer Americas, and the site is located 20 kilometres north of the Zafarani discovery, and at 2,500-metre water depth.
"We have initiated a new and ambitious drilling campaign offshore Tanzania following four successful discoveries during the first drilling phase. The Mronge-1 well discovered additional gas volumes and furthers the potential for a natural gas development in Tanzania. The new drilling program also allows us to fully explore the remaining exploration potential in Block 2," says Nick Maden, senior vice president for Statoil's exploration activities in the Western hemisphere.
The Mronge-1 well discovered gas at two separate levels. The main accumulation is at the same stratigraphic level as proven in the Zafarani-1 well in Block 2. The Zafarani-1 discovery was made in 2012 and was a play opener for the block.
The secondary accumulation was encountered in a separate, younger gas bearing reservoir, in a play which previously has not been tested in Block 2.
Boreskipet Discoverer Americas. (Foto: Paul Joynson-Hicks/AP - Statoil)
The Mronge-1 discovery is the venture's fifth discovery in Block 2. It was preceded by three successful high-impact gas discoveries during the first drilling phase with Tangawizi-1, Zafarani-1 and Lavani-1, and a deeper discovery in a separate reservoir in Lavani-2.
"These are high value resources. The attractiveness is also demonstrated by a recent asset transaction in the neighboring block. The discoveries also demonstrate how Statoil's strategy of focusing on high-impact opportunities is paying off and supports the company's ambition for international growth," Maden says.
"The Tanzania government is pleased to learn about additional gas resources discovered in Block 2," says Hon. Prof. Sospeter Muhongo, Minister for Energy and Minerals in Tanzania.
The Statoil-operated partnership started its new drilling campaign in Block 2 in September 2013. In addition to Mronge-1, the campaign includes drilling of several new prospects and appraisal of previous discoveries. Following Mronge-1, the partnership is scheduled to appraise the 2012 Zafarani discovery.
Statoil operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65% working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Limited holding the remaining 35%. Statoil has been in Tanzania since 2007, when it was awarded the operatorship for Block 2.
(*1 Tcf =180 million barrels of oil equivalent)