In 2019, Equinor will explore four licences awarded by the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy. The exploration wells will be drilled by the exploration rigs West Hercules and Transocean Enabler. The wells that are to be completed in 2019 have been named Gjøkåsen, Gjøkåsen Deep, Korpfjell Deep, Sputnik and Mist.
- Exploration drilling in the Barents Sea southeast follows from Norwegian authorities' long-term high-level initiatives.
- The exploration drilling taking place in the Barents Sea in 2017-2019 will help clarify future opportunities in the Barents Sea and for the Norwegian continental shelf.
- We have developed strong centres of expertise in Hammerfest and Harstad, with experts working on exploration, development and operation of the fields.
- Each of the wells has the potential to supply significant resources in the Barents Sea, and may be candidates for new developments.
- Equinor was granted permission to conduct drilling from the Environment Directorate and the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway after thorough risk analyses and public consultation.
When drilling is complete, the wells are plugged and sealed with concrete (irrespective of whether a find is made) and the rig then leaves the area for operations elsewhere.