This page is available in English only
The Campos Basin is located off the shore of Rio de Janeiro and accounts for 80% of Brazil’s oil production. Our licences are located in shallow and deep waters.
Block BM-C-33 was acquired in the bidding round held in 2005, and Equinor (formerly Statoil) took over the operatorship in 2015. It is a complex carbonate reservoir, located in the southwest portion of the Campos Basin, approximately 200km off the coast of the State of Rio de Janeiro and in ultra-deep water (between 2.500 and 2.900 metres of water). The asset is a strategically important gas discovery for Brazil and one of the most important projects in our international portfolio. It is composed of three different discoveries: Pão de Açúcar, Gávea and Seat. So far, seven wells have been drilled (3 Pão de Açúcar, 2 Seat and 2 Gávea). All appraisal activities ended in 2016 and the results indicate a total potential of 1 billion barrels of oil equivalent (boe).
The asset is an opportunity to deploy Equinor’s experience as deep-water operator and gas producer.
The project is currently in an early feasibility phase where Equinor is maturing the understanding of the reservoir, studying development concepts and working on the gas commercialisation options.
This licence contains the Peregrino field and is in 100-120 metres of water. Equinor is the operator with 60% of the licence, with partner Sinochem holding the remaining 40%. Peregrino is the largest field operated by Equinor outside the Norwegian continental shelf. An appraisal well in the Peregrino Southwest discovery was drilled in the first half of 2011. Another appraisal well was drilled in the 2012 Peregrino South discovery, made in 2011 in the BM-C-47 block.
A 60% interest in this licence was awarded to Equinor, then Statoil, in the 9th bidding round in 2008. Sinochem joined as a partner in April 2011 holding 40% of the equity. An exploration well was drilled in 2011 and an oil discovery was announced in the Peregrino South prospect. The last exploration well was drilled in the first quarter of 2014. In December 2013, Equinor presented a declaration of commerciality for the Pitangola field to ANP (the Brazilian agency for petroleum, natural gas and biofuels), which refers to Peregrino Phase II.