Your questions answered - FAQs
It’s natural to feel lost and overwhelmed when applying for a new job; especially if it’s your first job after graduation, you’re speaking a foreign language, moving to a new country – or just haven’t been to a job interview before. Our ambition is to make our website as informative as possible. Here you can find the answers to the questions our applicants ask the most.
If you don’t find the answers you need here, feel free to contact us .
All our positions are advertised on Equinor.com/careers. If you can’t find any suitable vacant positions you can set up job alerts so that you can be informed about vacant positions in the future. You can also submit your CV and a general application in our talent database.
Please note that Equinor never asks applicants to pay a fee, nor do we use recruitment or placement agencies that do this. In a situation like this you should assume that the sender is not providing a genuine offer or service, and that they may be trying to deceive you in a recruitment scam.
All our vacancies are posted on Equinor.com/careers.
Equinor offers summer internships for students who have completed the second year of their bachelor's degree, through to the first year of their masters. Some disciplines also welcome applications from PhD candidates.
The application period usually starts in late November.
All our vacancies are advertised on equinor.com/careers, and applications are received only online. To make sure that we are able to fully process your application, please attach all necessary certificates and references. Please note that there is a size limit of 1MB for each attachment.
Once you submit your application, the following steps will be taken:
- Once Equinor has received your application, a letter/e-mail confirming receipt of application will be sent to you immediately. E-mails from our system come from: email@example.com. Please ensure that e-mails from us reach your inbox, and not your junk or spam folder. If you haven’t heard from us within 24 hours of your application, please let us know.
- On the closing date of the application, a recruiter will handle your application.
- We will start inviting candidates for interview shortly. There may be several rounds of interviews before the selection process is completed. Equinor wants to get to know you during the interview, but the interview also gives you an opportunity to find out if Equinor is right for you.
- Before final selection, we will run a mandatory background check of the candidate.
- The selected candidate will receive an offer letter, and the candidates not chosen will get notified too.
- If you were not successful this time, you are welcome to apply for another vacancy in the future.
We encourage all our applicants to study the guidelines and instructions carefully before applying, to ensure that we are able to assess all applications properly.
Please note that some of the steps may vary for the different programmes, such as the summer internship, the graduate programme and apprentice programme. More details about these specific processes can be found on our career pages for those areas.
Equinor has a presence on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and Twitter. We encourage you to follow us in these channels to get the latest news and updates on our company. Through these channels we will also promote our programmes and publish dates for career fairs etc., and you will also gain insights on how it is to work in Equinor.
You can apply for our 2-year corporate graduate programme. They application period usually starts in August. We offer challenging and meaningful tasks and an opportunity to develop your career within Equinor and get to know the energy industry from a unique perspective in a broad energy company. Read more about the corporate graduate programme here.
Our standard global recruitment process aims to ensure that we find the best qualified person for the position. A typical recruitment process takes on average up to 10-12 weeks, however the duration of the process may vary for each position and the volume of applications.
Equinor offers students the opportunity to work on their thesis with us on a topic that the company can also benefit from. There are normally two approaches to this opportunity:
- through collaboration and agreements with several academic institutions or
- students may be invited to write their thesis through our summer internship programme.
Please check with your University if a cooperation is initiated and your university should be able to advise on how to approach the subject and what would be your further steps.
All graduate positions can be found via Equinor.com, including a description of the programme selection criteria. Positions will be available via the job openings button on the corporate graduate programme page when the positions are posted.
Graduate recruitment intake may differ from year to year, but they are usually posted in August. In 2022 the positions will be posted on 1 August.
We offer a two-year programme including modules/gatherings and on-the-job learning based on rotations to other units/projects of varying length and scope, according to professional background, individual development plan and Equinor's needs. We encourage all our graduates to be active in building networks and our employees are encouraged to actively shape their own future.
We welcome initiative and moves between our two pathways, the professional path and our leadership path. Each graduate will be assigned their own mentor and buddy. You will get challenging and meaningful tasks that corresponds with your interest and our company's business needs.
The start-up date is an agreement between yourself and your leader. Most of our graduates starts in August and September and the first graduate gathering will normally be held in September.
All vacant positions are posted on our web site, Equinor.com. We only accept online applications. Remember to attach valid documentation (CV, transcripts of records and diploma(s) for completed degrees). We encourage you to study the guidelines and instructions carefully before you apply to ensure that your application and documentation can be properly assessed.
This differs from year to year according to our business needs. Over the last years we have hired 100+ graduates each year globally.
Our corporate graduate programme is global and we hire graduates to several locations outside Norway. Which locations will vary from year to year according to business needs.
- Competitive salaries
- Bonus scheme
- Good pension plan
- Insurances and loans
- Share saving scheme
- Global paid parental leave
- Benefits may depend on location of employment, but could be such as gym, sport clubs, cultural activities, cabins for rent
- Health and travel insurance
Not entirely, as your exact location will be based on both your interest and our business needs. Please indicate your preferred location of work during the application process. Please note that if you are amongst the successful candidates, we cannot guarantee that your first preference will be offered. We encourage you to be flexible when it comes to locations.
We normally have one morning session and one in the afternoon. Candidates participate half a day.
Every role and business area requires its own specific set of skills and personal attributes. Some of the qualities and attributes we look for include:
- An awareness of risk and a commitment to safety for yourself and those around you.
- Good communication skills and the ability to facilitate collaboration, influence stakeholders, and contribute to a diverse and inclusive culture.
- The flexibility to adapt to change, embrace new technology, and perform in a digitally enabled environment.
- Demonstrating a curious mind and the ability to problem-solve, innovate, and identify new ways of delivering against our objectives.
- In Norway you’ll need a Master's degree or PhD with good academic results. In the UK and Brazil you’ll need a Bachelor degree as a minimum.
- In Norway you’ll have no more than two years of relevant fulltime work experience. In the UK no more than three years of fulltime work experience
- Fluent in English and preferably a second working language.
Yes, you will be a permanent employee from the day you start in the company.
- Online application
- Online assessment (blended test)
- Video interview (recorded by the applicant)
- Recruitment day
- Offer and background check
We receive thousands of high-quality applications every year, so the fact that your application was not successful on this occasion does not necessarily mean you are not qualified. We strongly recommend that you apply again if you find a position suitable to your background. There may be new opportunities for a job with us.
Graduates are employed by the line within their staffs/business area. Your organisational belonging may change during a job rotations. A graduate is initially hired to one department at a specific location, and after completing rotations, the graduate will usually return to that same department and location.
Yes, you can apply for up to three positions and you will need to prioritise the positions you apply for in the application process. If you have already attached the required documents to another graduate submitted application, you do not need to upload them again.
The summer internship positions will be posted on equinor.com/careers, with a description of the programme and our selection process. The IT and Digitalisation positions will be posted on 7 September and the remaining positions will be posted early October.
- Bachelor’s students who have completed at least two years of higher education with good academic records.
- Master’s and PhD students with good academic records and who will not graduate before December 2022.
In Norway and the UK, the summer internship programme 2022 lasts for six weeks and has one week off in mid-July. In other words, the programme begins 20 June and ends 5 August 2022, with one-week off between 18 July and 22 July.
In the United States, the summer internship programme lasts for twelve weeks, beginning in late May and ending in August 2022.
We offer challenging and meaningful tasks that corresponds with our company's business needs and your interests. In addition, you will get a competitive salary. The selected candidates will be given the opportunity to engage with some of the world’s foremost technical environments and learn about Equinor and the energy sector.
Our interns work on challenging tasks within their specified business areas, contributing to live projects and learning on the job alongside experts in their field. You may also get to work on a multidisciplinary project alongside a group of your fellow interns, guided by an experienced mentor from within our business.
Please note that the programme content may vary according to local rules and regulations. Please check our job postings to learn more about the activities offered in your country.
No. Equinor will evaluate all candidates applying for positions individually and previous internships will not automatically make you more eligible to a position than any other applicants.
Yes, feel free to apply to up to three positions per country.
This differs from year to year according to business needs. In previous years we have had around 200-300 students working with us during the summer.
You will join us on a hybrid programme - partly physical and partly virtual - designed to give you the experience and skills you need in your studies and future career. In the event of an office not being open due to COVID-19 safety risks, the internship programme will continue in a completely virtual format.
Working flexibly, interns will split their time between working in the office and working from home. The exact split will depend on the requirements of the hiring business area and will be arranged between hiring manager and yourself upon receipt of an offer.
Our IT and Digitalisation positions will be posted on 7 September and the remaining positions will be posted early October.
Equinor is present in more than 30 locations, and the location of our summer internship will vary from year to year based on business needs. In 2021 Equinor offered summer internships in Norway, UK and Poland.
Equinor attracts and develops people who share our values, are committed to our success, and are able to change and learn. We are looking for flexible and engaged individuals who wish to make a difference.
Summer interns must be able to identify with our values “Open, collaborative, courageous and caring” and commit to our safety expectations. To get the most out of the summer internship, our interns should be curious and engaged in their tasks, be willing to learn and share, and collaborate with their colleagues .
Our ideal candidates
Our candidate requirements may vary according to local rules and regulations. Please check our job postings to learn more about requirements in your country:
- Bachelor, Master’s or PhD students with a good academic record
- Have completed at least two years of higher education
- Be enrolled as a student between June and August of 2022
- Are fluent in English and preferably a second working language
- Have no more than one year of relevant full-time work experience (Norway positions), or no more than two years of relevant full-time work experience (United Kingdom positions)
- The interns need to be located in the country where the internship takes place for its full duration. For positions based in the United States, candidates must live in a state where Equinor currently operates for the entire length of the program.
- Candidates must have the necessary work permit for the country in which, and at the time, they are applying for a position. Please note that we do not facilitate work permits for this role. Read more about it in the national authorities’ pages: Norway , The United Kingdom , United states
Extracurricular activities and/or voluntary work is an advantage.
All positions are posted on our web site, Equinor.com/careers. We accept online applications only. Please remember to attach CV/resume and cover letter in English, along with validated documentation (transcripts of records and/or other documents describing subjects and grades in English or Scandinavian language) obtained to this point during your studies. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please upload an official temporary transcript.
Our requirements may vary according to local rules and regulations. Please check our job postings to learn more about requirements in your country:
- Online application
- Online assessment (testing)
- Video interview (recorded interview)
- Application assessment period
- Offer/rejection process
- Background check if applicable
We offer positions in many areas and disciplines including:
- Marketing and supply
- Drilling and well
- Safety, security and sustainability
- Information technology and digitalisation
- Finance and control
- Strategy and business development
- Supply chain management
- Project management and control
- People and organisation (human resources)
Please note that the different disciplines may vary from year to year.
If you are unsuccessful in getting an internship with us, it does not necessarily mean that you are not qualified for the position. We receive a high volume of applications and the competition is tough. We encourage all applicants to make sure they read and follow the instructions given in the job advert to avoid getting your application rejected due to missing information or unverified documentation. However, you are very welcome to apply again at a later stage if you find a position suitable for you.
The programme content may vary according to local rules and regulations. Please check our job postings to learn more about the activities offered in your country. Part of your internship will be spent working on projects or tasks within your chosen business area. You may also get to work on a multidisciplinary project alongside a group of your fellow interns, guided by an experienced mentor from within our business.
Equinor will provide the working equipment necessary to complete your tasks during the internship, such as laptops.