Skip to content

Oil find off Nigeria

October 16, 2000, 19:30 CEST

Substantial volumes of oil have been proven by Statoil in Nigerian offshore production licence 217, which covers the block of the same number.

A recently-completed production test of one oil-bearing zone in the Ekoli-1 discovery well flowed a maximum of 4,800 barrels per day.

Drilled by Deepwater Millennium in 1,461 metres of water, this well was drilled to a maximum depth of 4,510 metres between 7 July and 3 October.

It penetrated an extension of the Agbami structure proven by Texaco with the Agbami-1 well in neighbouring block 216 last year.

"This result was very gratifying, and very important for our operations in Nigeria," says Erik Syrstad, manager of Statoil's Lagos office.

"Ekoli-1 came in as forecast, confirming that Agbami extends into our 217 block and substantially increasing that field's proven reserves."

Since completing this well, Deepwater Millennium has moved to block 218 – also operated by Statoil – to spud the Bilah-1 wildcat.

Statoil Nigeria has 53.85 per cent of OPL 217, while Texaco Nigeria Outer Shelf holds the remaining 46.15 per cent.