Skip to content

Deploying booms near Statfjord

December 14, 2007, 13:29 CET

Oil boom in use 14 December (Photo: Marit Hommedal, StatoilHydro)

Aerial observations indicate that the slick is thin and bluish, and that only small areas of the oil have congealed into lumps.

Weather conditions on Statfjord improved somewhat during the night, with waves now just over three metres high and a fresh breeze blowing.

Forecasts indicate a weather window lasting until the morning of Saturday 15 December which will permit the use of clean-up equipment.

The oil has not drifted much since it leaked to the sea, and is still in the area between the Statfjord and Snorre fields. Drift modelling shows a slight movement towards the east.

Norway’s Sintef research foundation will be investigating the water column today from the Leikvin vessel, whilst the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (Nina) makes observations of bird life from a search and rescue helicopter.

Similar observations were also made yesterday, without detecting any accumulation of seabirds in the area.

ROV photo of the broken hose.

Broken hose

An initial inspection of the loading buoy and hose which was in use when the oil leak occurred on Statfjord on 12 December also began today.

Carried out by a remotely operated vessel (ROV) from the Edda Fonn survey vessel, this work has so far found a break in the 19-inch flexible hose between the seabed and the tanker connection.

Data from the inspection will be made available to the authorities and the StatoilHydro inquiry team, which is charged with identifying the chain of events and underlying causes.

Edda Fonn will be continuing its inspection of both loading systems on Statfjord.

will be continuing its inspection of both loading systems on Statfjord.


StatoilHydro met the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) and the Norwegian Pollution Control Authority (SFT) today to account for the chain of events related to the oil leak from Statfjord A and the emergency response effort.

Statfjord is producing as normal. The group today also outlined the technical and operational verification being carried out before offshore loading can resume with the other OLSB system on the field.