Our climate ambitions
We’re going for net zero, but what does that really mean?
Business as usual is no longer an option because society has to move faster towards a net-zero future. Climate change presents a fundamental challenge to society. It is a shared challenge, and our industry can play an important role. Equinor aims to become a leading company in the energy transition.
- We commit to reducing emissions from our production of oil & gas.
- We accelerate our investments in renewable energy and grow a profitable renewables business.
- We invest in new technology to create and build new low-carbon markets, value chains and industries.
- We will invest in nature-based solutions.
- We use our voice to support the goals of the Paris Agreement and policies that support net zero.
A detailed overview of ambitions, including scopes and boundaries, is available.
We aim to remain an industry leader in carbon efficiency
We know that our emissions must be reduced, and it starts with us and how we work with suppliers and partners. It’s about how we make our work more efficient, how we replace gas turbines with electric power, or how we use drones in tracking our methane emissions.
Through our Climate Initiative Norway and Climate Response International projects, we are assessing numerous large and small initiatives across our company that will reduce emissions daily. There are three main workstreams we follow to reduce emissions.
Growing in renewables
We bring our offshore exprience one step further
Driven by the opportunities within the energy transition and an increasing demand for electricity from renewable energy sources, Equinor continues to build its renewable business. We primarily focus on offshore wind, both bottom-fixed and floating, but we also explore opportunities within onshore renewables.
We will increase our renewable energy capacity tenfold by 2026. Our aim is to be a global offshore wind major, while strengthening our industry-leading position on carbon efficient production.